African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior PPP Operations Specialist
Position Number: 50105392
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL5
- The Vice-Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department
- The Infrastructure and Urban Development Department (PICU) provides assistance to the Bank Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in the form of loans and grants to finance infrastructure projects and programs mostly in the transport sector, and urban development.
- The Department also develops non-lending knowledge products to formulate and implement transport and urban development sector policies and strategies, sector reforms to ensure best practices are mainstreamed in policy, planning, programming, institutional governance, and maintenance and operations.
- In addition, the Department provides Grants for preparation of regional infrastructure projects covering transport, energy, ICT, and water sectors, and coordinates the Bank’s Public Private Partnerships (PPP) framework, as well as a number of external strategic infrastructure partnerships for the Bank.
- The Department fosters advancement of infrastructure and cities in Africa by detailed development of appropriate interventions which the Bank might finance on a regional, national or a continent-wide basis.
- To undertake and manage the assigned PPP investment and financing activities focus of the Division, work with the project sponsors and other MDBs and IFIs to develop financing proposals, review potential infrastructure deals in member countries for the Bank’s support, conduct and oversee due diligence of the whole project design covering the financial modelling, technical issues and terms and conditions for the Bank’s engagement under the supervision of the Division Manager.
- This shall entail PPP operations aligned to all the three pillars of the Bank’s PPP Strategic Framework:
- Enabling environment;
- Project preparation and transaction advisory;
- Project financing.
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Division Manager, the Senior PPP Operations Specialist will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Originating PPP projects and transactions as part of business development for consideration in the Bank’s operational pipeline.
- Structuring, and executing debt and equity investments for privately financed infrastructure projects across Africa.
- Assessing applications and requests for PPP project assistance and financing received by the Bank from RMCs and other eligible clients, and making appropriate recommendations to Management on their suitability for Bank support.
- Screening applications for PPP projects in line with the Bank’s PPP framework to assess eligibility for assistance and possible prioritization for inclusion in the Bank’s PPP work programme.
- Preparing, appraising, structuring, and executing PPP projects leading to Board approval and financial close and beyond
- As part of an appraisal team, processing PPP project operations within the Bank system all the way to approval and ensuring that investments comply with the Bank’s strategy, policies and best practices.
- Undertaking due diligence; leading multidisciplinary project teams to analyze technical, financial,
economic, and E&S risks, and selecting and overseeing external specialist advisors
- Conducting project finance and PPP financial analysis and financial modeling through to financial close
- Drafting and presenting investment proposals to internal committees and the Board of Directors
- Negotiating and executing financing agreements to achieve the intended results
- Originating deals by forging and nurturing relationships with Africa-focused project developers, investors, and financiers.
- As part of a team, undertaking PPP country and sector diagnostic work for the Bank’s Country Strategy Paper (CSP) preparation as assigned from time to time.
- Working as part of a team on key activities in the upstream, midstream or downstream phases of project development.
- Working in a team to provide PPP Transaction Advisory Services (TAS) for PPP projects being supported by the Bank leading to commercial and financial close.
- Supporting work to mobilize resources from within the Bank and from external sources to support the delivery of the Bank’s PPP programme.
- Supporting the preparation and delivery of PPP knowledge, capacity building and information on PPPs and the Bank’s areas of support for both internal and external audiences.
- Engaging in dialogue with stakeholders to address challenges that may be faced in delivery the Bank’s PPP Strategic Framework.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Finance, Business Administration, Law, Development Finance or any other related discipline.
- Professional certification in Public Private Partnerships, Project Management, Project Finance, Advance Financial and Risk Analysis; and knowledge of Corporate Governance and negotiation skills are desirable.
- Have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in infrastructure development, PPP financing, project advisory services and management of PPP infrastructure projects, project finance and other related areas.
- Practical and demonstrable knowledge and experience in different stages and activities of the PPP transaction cycle, and in different PPP financing options and how and when to apply them
- Good understanding and practical experience in different PPP financing options and how and when to apply them
- Very strong financial modeling skills, preferably with specific experience in PPPs and project finance
- Experience and good understanding of key PPP concepts including project screening, appraisal, value for money versus PSC assessment, affordability, structuring, transaction support, etc.
- Experience working in DFIs, investment bank or MDBs will be a competitive advantage.
- Project management experience to schedule and budget
- Robust analytical skills and the ability to write and produce high-quality technical reports.
- Proven ability to conduct research, analyze and produce reports.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in the workplace in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Demonstrates expertise in organizing and implementing operational processes.
- Takes initiative to improve policies/programmes and products to maximize efficiency.
- Engages, supports and motivates others to implement efficient ways of doing things.
- Delivers quality initiatives to enhance the team’s performance
- Drive for results
- Excellent spoken and written English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of the Bank’s standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Application Closing Date
21st April, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.