$13.50 an hour
Full Job Description
Recruiting Opportunity Closes: 09.29.2022
Hourly Wage: $13.50
Hours Per Week: 29
Number of Positions: 1
Department: Sports and Fitness
Position Title: Fitness/Gym Attendant
The Salvation Army Mission Statement:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Complete the online job application.
To apply online go to: Fitness/Gym Attendant
To apply in person go to 1865 Bill Frey Dr., Salem, OR 97305. Complete the job application provided to you. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Questions, contact Amira Lukens at email@example.com or call 503-798-4810. Ms. Lukens is the sole point of contact for questions regarding this position.
Recruiting Accommodation Statement:
To obtain assistance with accommodations related to the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA) concerning your application process, please contact 1-888-887-6528 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Eric Hansen or Sheila Jordan.
The Salvation Army will comply with all governmental orders and any contractual obligations relative to COVID-19 safety measures, including mandatory vaccination of staff, if required. The Salvation Army will consider requests for exemptions from any such requirements on either religious or medical grounds.
Scope of Position:
The Fitness/Gym Attendant will be responsible for overseeing members and guests as they participate in fitness and sports programs at The Kroc Center in Salem, OR. This position will be primarily responsible for ensuring the safety, cleanliness, and dedicated customer service of the fitness area, gymnasium, or Rockwall. The activities of the members and guests they oversee will take place in those associated spaces along with any meeting rooms and the natatorium as assigned by the Sports and Fitness Coordinator. The Fitness Attendant will be trained on the Rockwall and must be able to safely Belay members climbing the wall. The Fitness Attendant will also complete any other assigned task as directed by the Sports and Fitness Coordinator.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
General: Effective verbal and written communications skills, ability to multitask, and the ability to fill-in for co-workers as the work schedule requires. Requires the ability to follow directives of the designated supervisor. Basic knowledge of fitness equipment required. Ability to initiate code blue emergency call or respond to an emergency situation if one arises. The person in this position must be able to cultivate teamwork both in the fitness department and the facility as a whole. Must be able to exercise good judgment and be comfortable working with members and guests of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
Equipment Used: The following equipment is used on either a daily, weekly, or monthly basis: Telephone, computer fax/copy machines, and computer time sheet. Familiar with current Microsoft software computer programs including: Word, Excel, Access, Publisher, PowerPoint, e-mail, and internet. This position must have a good understanding of all weight and cardio equipment and Rock Climbing equipment.
Skills and Abilities: The ability to follow a detailed schedule for opening or closing the facility, cleaning of equipment and designated spaces, and monitoring any wear and tear of equipment. Must be able to follow and respond to daily, weekly, and monthly Fitness Staff Communications. Must be able to initiate or respond in writing to any incident response, unusual occurrence, or safety concern within the facility grounds while on duty.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project a friendly, customer-service oriented attitude.
- Monitor Fitness, Rockwall, and Gymnasium areas to ensure a safe and clean environment.
- Follow Fitness Area including Rockwall Cleaning Schedule and maintain schedule.
- Create and maintain an inviting and fun environment for the community at large.
- Be visible on the Fitness floor and interact with members.
- Obtain a thorough understanding of all Salvation Army and Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center policies and procedures with the ability to adhere and abide by them.
- Safely Belay Members and Guests while using the Rockwall.
- Provide members and guests with basic fitness equipment orientations and tours.
- Regular and punctual attendance is an essential job requirement.
- Arrive for work shift on time, prepared to work, and able to open/close the facility as directed.
- Refer any questions, concerns, or complaints by members, guests, or staff to the Sports and Fitness Coordinator or other designated supervisor.
- Follow all written and oral communications and instructions from the Sports and Fitness Coordinator or other designated supervisor.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs. on a regular basis. Must be able to push, pull & move heavy-weight equipment on an infrequent basis with appropriate tools and safety equipment.
- Must be able to perform tasks of a repetitive nature without diminished performance.
- Must be able to bend, squat, twist, and stand, as these movements are a regular requirement of this position.
- Must be able to demonstrate appropriate form when using equipment typical of a fitness facility. This equipment includes, but is not limited to: cardiovascular equipment, select weights, free weights, and pulley systems.
- Must be physically able to give emergency care if a situation arises.
This position may have frequent phone and in person contact with people from diverse backgrounds who may be angry, hostile, confused or frustrated.
This position has access to confidential and private information. It is essential that confidentiality and privacy be observed.
The candidate chosen for this position will be required to pass a criminal history information check. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude employment. The circumstances involved in the conviction(s) will be considered.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
Education and Work Experience:
This position requires an enthusiastic, positive attitude with experience in customer service, facility cleanliness, and practical sense. Prefer some prior experience with fitness, sports, and/or recreation.
License & Certifications:
Current First Aid, CPR, and AED certification is required or to obtain the certification within 30 days of employment.
(It is the employee’s responsibility to maintain and keep current on all certifications.)
Supervisor: Sports & Fitness Coordinator – Amira Lukens
|Job Category||The Salvation Army Western USA|