Shift & Schedule
Evenings as needed
Estimated Salary Guide
- Not provided by employer
- $26.6K – $33.7K a year is the estimated salary for this role in Scotts Valley, CA.
Report inaccurate salary
Full Job Description
THE SALVATION ARMY MISSION STATEMENT:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
A Unit is made up of 5 Cabin Leaders, a Unit Apprentice, and 60 campers. You are responsible for ensuring all campers and Cabin Leaders are safe and that each person’s spiritual, physical, emotional, and social needs are being met. Duties also include planning and implementing daily unit activities, managing camper or staff misbehaviors, encouraging Cabin Leaders throughout the week, leading daily devotions, and preparing evening programs.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Seeing that continuous supervision is provided for the children assigned to each cabin, with the priority of protecting the health and safety of the campers, providing an enjoyable and educational camping experience, and promoting knowledge of and commitment to God.
- Encourage camper participation in all prescribed aspects of the camping program in accordance with the daily program schedule and standard operational procedures.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of each Cabin Leader’s daily cabin devotions.
- Assist Cabin Leaders in creating, setting, and enforcing cabin expectations that ensure safety, enjoyment, education, and socialization for each camper.
- Manage ongoing camper misbehaviors.
- Plan and implement Unit Activities and occasional evening programs.
- Uphold the camp standard of cleanliness through periodic check-ups and check-outs before break day.
- Ensure Cabin Leaders are prepared for the next camp session BEFORE being dismissed for the break day.
- Inform the Assistant Camp Director of any camper or staff problems.
- Visit cabins regularly during the day.
- Help to plan and implement evening camper programs, including campfire, as needed.
- Actively participate in ALL camp programs.
- Plan and implement elective classes as assigned.
- Supervise free time activity areas as assigned.
- Evaluate the current summer program area and make suggestions for the following summer.
- Assist with the opening and closing day procedures as requested by Assistant Camp Director.
- Assume responsibility for supervision and instruction for Salvation Army Programs (badge classes and Music/art classes) as assigned by the program schedule.
- Spend time with, befriend, and interact with all Cabin Leaders and campers in order to foster a quality camping experience in accordance with the stated goals of The Salvation Army’s camping program.
- Be an appropriate and effective example for both campers and staff members, exhibiting Christ-like conduct, concern, and service.
- Report any suspected child abuse issues to the Assistant Camp Director and take necessary actions to report it properly.
- Report general property maintenance issues to the Facilities Manager or Maintenance Crew Chief.
- Assist the Assistant Camp Director in any other duties as requested in order to maintain a consistently high level of efficiency in the operation of the camp.
All staff may be called upon at any time to assist in the total operation of the camp. You are expected to join in all evening programs; absences are excused only through the Program Director.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have previous camp experience either as a camper or a staff member.
- Ability to creatively motivate and encourage counseling staff.
- Ability to be in front of a crowd.
- Ability to communicate clearly with a wide range of ages.
- Ability to organize, lead, and deliver devotionals in front of a group of people.
- Able to creatively solve problems and camper’s misbehaviors.
- Unit leaders will be asked to take the camp driving test.
- Must have current CPR/First Aid/AED certification.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must have a personal and growing relationship with the Lord.
- Preferred previous camping experience either as a camper or as a staff member.
Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or sometimes continuous basis. Ability to grasp, push and pull objects and tools. Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army would attempt to satisfy requests if the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
This job description should also identify the essential functions of the job, including any physical, cognitive, visual, auditory, and other abilities essential to fulfilling the job.
Acknowledgment of Religious Purposes of The Salvation Army
The employee acknowledges that he/she has been informed and understands The Salvation Army’s religious purpose and status as a church. The employee agrees that he/she shall do nothing to his/her relationship with The Salvation Army as an employee to undermine its religious mission. The employee agrees and understands that his/her services are a necessary part of The Army’s religious purposes and his/her work-related conduct must not conflict with, interfere with, or undermine such religious programs or The Army’s religious purpose.
At Will Employment Statement
I hereby understand and acknowledge that, unless otherwise defined by applicable law, any employment relationship with this organization is of an “at will” nature, which means that the Employee may resign at any time and the Employer may discharge Employee at any time with or without cause. It is further understood that this “at will” employment relationship may not be changed by any written document or by conduct unless an authorized executive of this organization specifically acknowledges such change in writing.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
|Job Category||The Salvation Army Western USA|